When you look around, you’ll discover that we are surrounded by images that appeal to our sense of reasoning whether consciously or otherwise. We practically tend to read images as they communicate to our creative mind. All these happen most time within the mind region.
Why is this so?
It’s just that our eyes have been adapted to visual content because that is what we see virtually all the time. And that is how the world is wired around creation.
Texts are also images that must come together in a define pattern before they can either appeal or make sense to us. However, an image that is well structured and tailored to a specific purpose is able to encapsulate much text. This is so because we give interpretation to every script on it the way it appeals to us, hence assimilating and understanding it our way. This is one of the greatest advantages of visual content.
Most bloggers and web designers know about this weapon and they use it to their advantage to spur audience to take desired action.
Texts always challenge our mental ability while visuals appeal to our creative mind. When used together in the right blend, they produce inevitable result. Apart from this reason, there are other reasons why we should use image on our blog or website?
Why images are important on website
Here are 10 more reasons I feel you should be using image on your website whether on blog post or when creating landing pages.
1. Grab the attention of visitors: The first fundamental reason why image is important online is that it has the capacity to attract visitors. Ensure the image is of high quality and appealing, always complimenting the text content.
2. Makes your website look beautiful: When you have an array of colorful pictures spread on the web pages of your website, they’ll have a combined effect that add glamor and beauty to the site. Navigating it will only add splendor which would invariably attract visitors.
3. Increase engagement: The two reasons above will naturally boost your page view. People would naturally be engrossed on post that is carefully crafted with supporting images that aid understanding.
Checkout the blogs or websites you love. You’ll discover that they have this skill embedded on their site. The purpose of any blog post is to equip and empower the audience with the information they need.
4. Reduce Bounce rate: Bounce rate is define as the number of visitors that exit your website almost immediately they arrive without going to any other page within the site. When this happens, the visitor is said to have bounced. A visitor will bounce when the site lack the needed engagement that could propel him to take the second click to a new page within the site.
If you want your audience to continually flip through your web pages, make them look beautiful and attractive with compelling images. It would increase your page view.
5. Enhance quick understanding of blog post: If you want to make your blog reader understand and assimilate your content better and faster, use image to show them what you really mean to say.
6. Aid conversion process: People are fascinated by beautiful picture. Using crystal clear pictures of your product if you run an eCommerce website would certainly boost the rate of purchase.
In the same vein, using images to spice up landing pages can propel targeted audience to take desired actions. We use this method on our landing pages for the services we provide.
7. Ability to entertain blog reader: Yes! Images can entertain. Surprised! Check the GIF image below to confirm what I mean.
Gif images can be used to explain a short process just like video does or simply used to draw attention. Use them only where necessary and important. Internet has gone beyond the blink-blink flash of the oldies.
8. It makes blog post memorable: Taking a lead from the images above, they could have catch your fancy. Not because you’ve not seen something similar before, but the fact that it could be used this way might make it look different.
Perhaps, you stumble on an image that connect with your ideology and also resonate with the text content, chances are that the thought of the image and where you saw it may linger.
For instance, the memory of the place I saw infographic in gif format the first time is still fresh in my mind. This implies that image too can create an unforgettable experience.
9. Increase page rank on SERP (Search Engine Ranking Page): I have seen where a blog post could not rank among the first three pages on search engine result table, but the image on that same post ranked #1 on image table. This is a boost for the content.
However, search engine spider cannot crawl images until you label them appropriately. The most important labels you need in this case are the title and alt. text labels. Ensure they contain the keyword you want to optimize the post for. Apart from making it available for search engine to crawl, it could rank #1 on image SERP.
10. Boost post sharing capabilities: It has been statistically proven that post with image get shared across social media 37% more than those without. And it also out-performs post without image. I guess you’ll desire to step up your presence on social media sites you intend to build traffic to your website because that’s where your target market congregates.
You can install WordPress SEO by Yoast to really optimize post sharing with image delivery by going to ‘social’ on the plugin page setting. With this, you’ll be able to force the default image on the post people share on your site across social networks like Facebook, Twitter and Google plus.
Conclusion: Visual content holds a significant proportion among the things we see that grab our attention and engage our mind even from time immemorial.
Arthur Brisbane, a US newspaper editor in his text to the Syracuse advertising men’s club in March 1911 said;
“Use a picture; it’s worth a thousand words”
This is true because we are so familiar and adaptive to images that we always want to read every script on it as it appeals to our creative mind. Why not use this powerful weapon on your website to your advantage?
Image Credit: pammarketingnut